OT: Big Brother watching you surf?

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 29 11:31:03 UTC 2006

Byron Sonne wrote:

> I don't want to be a pessimist, but I'm pretty sure all ISPs will bend
> over for the government, or wind up extinct.

Not only ISPs :-)

 From The Toronto Star today,
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1151531412964&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Excepts below:

Bank of Canada governor David Dodge knew in 2002 that the U.S.
government wanted data from an international banking organization for
use in its war on terror.Dodge declined yesterday to comment on the U.S.
program, in which information on international financial transactions —
including Canadian data — was given to the Americans.

John McCallum, finance critic for the federal Liberals, said Canadians
should be worried if personal information was sent to the CIA.It would
fly in the face of Canadian law and banking practice, said McCallum, a
senior executive with Royal Bank of Canada before joining former prime
minister Paul Martin's cabinet as minister and secretary of state for
financial institutions.

No one involved with the Canadian banking system, SWIFT or the U.S.
government will say what Canadian financial data, if any, might have
been seen by U.S. authorities, but Canada's privacy commissioner is
looking into the program.Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart did not
elaborate yesterday on what form her inquiry will take, but a
spokesperson stressed that the possible breach is being taken
seriously."Obviously this is something we can't ignore," said Anne-Marie
Hayden, speaking for Stoddart. "We are looking into the matter, though
the extent to which we get involved has yet to be determined. There are
questions around jurisdiction."It's unclear what steps Stoddart can
take, beyond making recommendations to halt any exchange of information.