How can we help?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 20:00:13 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Also, how about York University? Maybe someone there can find us a space there?

While York is great if you have a car (so long as it's not rush hour!)
it fails the previously mentioned test for ease of use by other means
of transportation.  It's a very difficult target by bike, and a royal
pain by transit.  I went to a NewTLUG meeting there recently and it
took me about 1 hour and 40 minutes to get there (I live near the
Danforth, out east) despite having a bus line all its own.  For a
most-of-the-day installfest I guess I'd make the trek, but NewTLUG
will have to put on a pretty spectacular show to draw me when the
transit time exceeds the meeting duration (sorry guys - I want to
attend!).

Campuses are good, if the LUG has people (students, faculty, staff,
doesn't matter) on that campus: pretty much anyone can book some kind
of space if they're affiliated with the institution.  And you're
almost guaranteed free internet access.  Do we have a connection with
a car- and transit-friendly campus in town?  I'm not sure U of T
qualifies either: very transit- and bike-friendly, horrible for cars.
Although it's better on weekends.

Better at tossing out questions than answers ...
--  Giles