Wireless; Vista; etc. (was: Installfests?)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 19:15:11 UTC 2006

Email sent to Toronto LUG list. CC'ed debian-laptop list because of
relevant questions about wireless.

On 6/28/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Alas, the state of the "Linux art" does not include decent support
> for wireless with WPA + certificates...)
Or decent support for certain wireless chipsets at all, it seems. :-(

Has it ever happened before that someone tried to come up with a
"Linux Certified" logo, trademark it, and convince certain Wi-Fi
vendors to put it on the outside of their packaging?

If not, someone should. (OSDL? Debian? Ubuntu? Red Hat? IBM?)

> I'm fairly well certain that installing Windows would be *way* more difficult...

Yes, but perhaps that's only because of drivers. Windows XP is six
years old, and it's almost guaranteed that on a modern computer you'll
have hardware whose drivers aren't on the Windows XP CD. I have a
feeling the problem will go away for a few years again when Vista
comes out and includes drivers for everything.

> On 6/28/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > In other words, I would submit that utility of the installfest has
> > peaked. There is still a need for it, but the need is far less than it
> > used to be. At a technical level, Linux simply isn't as intimidating any
> > more.
>
> Hmm.  Disagree.  Linux is more complex than it ever was.
>
> The difference is that there are distribution makers that have
> diminished the sophistication of the configuration questions that they
> ask.
Precisely, and bravo to those vendors for doing so.

Please CC me,
Jason

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also do computer training and spyware removal for homes and businesses.