Installfests?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 18:10:13 UTC 2006

Christopher Browne wrote:

>> At a technical level, Linux simply isn't as intimidating any
>> more.
>

> Hmm.  Disagree.  Linux is more complex than it ever was.

Complex != intimidating. We're both right.

> The difference is that there are distribution makers that have
> diminished the sophistication of the configuration questions that they
> ask.
>
> - They *don't* ask you if you want to install via more or less obscure
> means that require strange pre-configuration
>
> - They don't ask you to decide how to partition disks; they make
> choices for you
>
> - They don't ask you what software to install; they choose a large set
> of packages for you
>
> - They don't ask you to understand .xinitrc; they set up a lot of
> defaults for you

All true. And in many cases, the pre-configured defaults suit many
people. Thus exists the benefit of a series of sessions for people (who
want to know) to learn what is going on under the hood. Not everyone who
drives wants to know how to change their oil, but at least they need to
know it has to be done.

The reality is that many of the target audience for such an event don't
want to know about a file called ".xinitrc", let alone how to change it.
They _celebrate_ the hiding of such details. (Heaven knows they're used
to Windows hiding all those details from them too.)

The end result is that Linux can be _both_ more complex and less
intimdating to install. Those who want a lot of pre-set defaults have
their distros, those who want fine control and for everything compiled
on the fly can get that too. People who are interested in getting more
complex after a simple start can do so over time. Those who don't like
the existing choices of pre-defined install settings can roll their own
derivative distros.

My point remains that new distros and new hardware don't require
installfests as much as they used to.

> Yeah, in effect, speakers on various things that aren't particularly
> about Linux or that are very "soft" matters.

Well, yes. Hardcore devotees know where to get _their_ fix.

> SQIL seems to exclude non-Quebec activities, which isn't exactly the
> most inclusive way to go.

Well, by definition it is "la semaine Québecoise"... :-)

I will note that it was the SQIL folks who came to us (CLUE) first to
ask if there might be interest in extending the concept nationally. So
clearly they're thinking of a series of co-ordinated events, though
their own resources limit them to local planning. I don't think it'll
bother them if GTALUG plans exclude non-Toronto events.

I also note that osw.ca is used by OCLUG for its Open Source Weekend
events, and could be persuaded to let it be used for a national Open
Source Week.

- Evan