OT: troubleshooting steps on a custom-built PC?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 17:29:01 UTC 2006

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> I'd love to hear a little more about shorting the ground to test the
> PSU. Do I need a wire to connect the mainboard power plug to
> something?

Unplug the PSU from everything. Plug back in one high-load device (ie:
an old hard drive), preferably one with no value "just in case". Now
look at the biggest power connector and in the middle on one side you
should see a single green wire. Take something conductive (wire,
paperclip, etc) and short that green wire with any of the black wires.
Now plug in/turn the back rocker-switch on and see if the hard drive and
PSU fans spins up. If so, your PSU is okay. If not, it's toast.

Again, do this at your own risk. :) If you want pictures google for
this. I can't find any off hand but I know that I have seen articles
showing how to do this before.

Madison