OT: troubleshooting steps on a custom-built PC?

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 17:20:16 UTC 2006

Hi there,
Thanks for the comments thus far...

Madison wrote:

What happens if you unplug everything non-essential and try to POST? Ie:
unplug all drives, use on-board video if it has it, and such? Will it
POST then? If not, try putting the RAM in a different DIMM slot. If you
have any parts around, try different RAM or a different video card if
you don't have on-board video.

There's no effect at all, no matter what I pull. I moved RAM to a
different slot, pulled the hard drive, optical drive, floppy drive and
video card. The standby power light on the mobo is on, but absolutely
nothing happens when you hit the power button.

I'd love to hear a little more about shorting the ground to test the
PSU. Do I need a wire to connect the mainboard power plug to
something?

Lennart wrote

> So when you connect the power supply you get a light indicating standby
> power is present, but when you press the power button nothing happens?
That's correct.

> Is the power button connected to the right pins on the board?
I checked that and it appears to be connected properly.

> Is the speaker connected to you can hear any potential beep codes?
I don't have speakers connected...do you think it woudl help? I mean,
nothing happens when you hit the power; I guess I'd expect the PSU and
CPU fans to start turning, if nothing else.

> Is the cpu fan connected to the right power connecter on the main board
> (I have seen boards that refuse to power on if the cpu fan isn't present
> and working).
I checked htat too, it seems to be in the right plug. I unplugged and
replugged everythign just to be sure. Same problem!

I guess my thought now is that at least one component here is
fracked...I just need to figure out which one.

Thanks for your help...

Aaron.