OT: troubleshooting steps on a custom-built PC?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 14:36:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 08:38:28AM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> I just put together this machine with the following components:
>
> Asus T2-P barebone (Case, motherboard and 200W PSU)
> Intel Celeron 350 3.2 GHz
> Corsair 512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
> LiteOn DVD 16x dual-sided burner
> eVGA GeForce MX4000 64MB AGP w/TVOut
>
> I've double and triple checked the connections. When I plug it in the
> motherboard power light comes on, but when I hit the power button
> nothing happens. I rechecked all power connections but it all seems
> fine.
>
> What would my troubleshooting steps be at this point?

So when you connect the power supply you get a light indicating standby
power is present, but when you press the power button nothing happens?

Is the power button connected to the right pins on the board?

Is the speaker connected to you can hear any potential beep codes?

Is the cpu fan connected to the right power connecter on the main board
(I have seen boards that refuse to power on if the cpu fan isn't present
and working).

Len Sorensen