OT: troubleshooting steps on a custom-built PC?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 12:46:50 UTC 2006

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just put together this machine with the following components:
>
> Asus T2-P barebone (Case, motherboard and 200W PSU)
> Intel Celeron 350 3.2 GHz
> Corsair 512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
> LiteOn DVD 16x dual-sided burner
> eVGA GeForce MX4000 64MB AGP w/TVOut
>
> I've double and triple checked the connections. When I plug it in the
> motherboard power light comes on, but when I hit the power button
> nothing happens. I rechecked all power connections but it all seems
> fine.
>
> What would my troubleshooting steps be at this point?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron.

What happens if you unplug everything non-essential and try to POST? Ie:
unplug all drives, use on-board video if it has it, and such? Will it
POST then? If not, try putting the RAM in a different DIMM slot. If you
have any parts around, try different RAM or a different video card if
you don't have on-board video.

If you can get it to POST with minimal parts then it's just a matter of
putting parts back until it dies again and you have your answer. If you
just can't get it to POST, does the PSU fan spin up? If not, and if you
are careful, unplug the PSU from everything except something like an old
CD-ROM or disk drive (switched PSUs need a load to power up) and then
short pin 13 to ground.

Pin 13 on the main PSU power cable (the 20 or 24pin mainboard plug) is
usually the only green one and is usually a slightly smaller gauge then
the rest. Any black wire is ground. If the PSU is okay and the load is
sufficient the PSU should power on and you'll head the fan spin. If it
still doesn't you probably have a toasted PSU. Obviously you do this
test at your own risk! :p

If you have another system that you can try the RAM in see if it works
there. If so, then you probably have a bad mobo or CPU but either way it
sounds like it came as one unit so it should be easy to get an RMA
(replacement) for it.

HTH

Madison