How can we help?

Interlug interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 12:30:18 UTC 2006

Here's an interesting rumour for us to consider.  First seen on the
Yahoo! Financial SCOX forum.

[Microsoft(r) tech support] told me that "in the fall, having the latest
WGA will become mandatory and if its not installed, Windows will give a
30 day warning and when the 30 days is up and WGA isn't installed,
Windows will stop working, so you might as well install WGA now."  --
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84 Ed Bott's Blog

This could be a complete fabrication, a case of broken telephone, FUD, a
trial balloon from Redmond or something else.  But what if it is close
to being true?  Any way to confirm or refute this?  Anybody know anybody
at Microsoft(r) with the ability, the clout and the willingness to get a
real answer on this?  A written answer, with attribution?  Of course,
with enough public outcry, Microsoft(r) will simply change their mind on
this (if it's a trial balloon) and claim that the speakers were "wrong,
misinformed, spoke out of turn," and deny all complicity.

But what if it is true?

How will the Linux community help people effected by this unilateral
termination of computer services?  How about Installfests?  Can we be
prepared to host installfests for large numbers of disaffected
Microsoft(r) users?   How about an installfest every week?