MySQL Help - Remote Access

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 02:08:07 UTC 2006

On 6/27/06, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> When I try to telnet from the client to the server on port 3306 I get
> the error "Host 192.168.2.100 is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
> server" which is the exact error I get when trying to connect using
> MySQL Administrator.

Consider that good news.

You have ruled out a number of reasons why it might not be working;
you now know that you *don't* have to look at things like ipchains or
pf or such at the network transport layer.

> This is getting frustrating. I have been through tons of docs and done
> dozens of googles.
>
> The MySQL docs say networking is on by default.

e.g. - insecure by default.

> I explicitly added a bind-address and port statement to my.cnf to no effect.

> I tried to figure out the Red Hat boot initialization but is very far
> away from standard linux. So many rc.* files....

That is according to standard; it's the SysV UNIX "way," and most
flavours of Linux use such...

You shouldn't need to look much at them; the scripts in those
directories shouldn't need to be customized.

> Can't give up though.

Apparently more of a search of the docs is necessary...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.