MySQL Help - Remote Access

David Thornton david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 28 00:01:58 UTC 2006

Stephen wrote:
> A bit off topic but I am using a (Red Hat) Linux server.
>
> I have Apache, PHP, Samba, and local connections to MySQL running just
> fine.
>
> I want to do remote connections using MySQL administrator.
>
> I have added rows (Using GRANT) in the user table with host set to *
> for the accounts I want to use. (This is on a private network, and for
> testing).
>
> I flushed the privileges, and even rebooted the machine.
>
> But I get an error saying I cannot connect from the remote computer.
>
> Is there some global setting in a config file, or something else I
> must do?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

Just to be sure...

You added the "grant" lines to the remote MySQL server right? not your
local mysql instance?

Can you telnet to port 3306 from the client to the server?

Can you use the account you created on the server ( while local to the
server )?

Are you refering to the remot mahcine by IP or by name? Star with IP
address and then move to name resolution.

David