Excessive Uploading Found on DSL Line

Glen Strom gstrom-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 26 17:28:04 UTC 2006

I recently had a problem with my EOL DSL line. It turns out Bell had to
adjust the error correction. When I talked to the EOL tech afterward,
she said there was an excessive amount of uploading on my connection.
Naturally, she suspected a virus or something like that until I told
her I use Linux. Then she suggested that I might have a program on my
system that's phoning home. So now I have two questions:
1. Is there program I can use to locate a chatty app on the system?
2. Is there another reason for this uploading activity?

Note that I haven't included any stats because I'm not sure what
program to use to measure this uploading.

By the way, I used both chkrootkit and rkhunter to check for rootkits
and found nothing amiss. I checked my firewall at ShieldsUp and it's
still in stealth mode (however accurate/meaningful that is).

Thanks.

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org