wish i had a clue stick to smack buffet upside the head!

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 26 12:41:12 UTC 2006

On 6/26/06, John Van Ostrand <john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> My concern with this was that the B&M Gates Foundation would tie
> microsoft products to the donations. Does anyone know how much of this
> is happening?

This is precisely what I was thinking.

I donate licenses to my software, which is more or less free for me to
produce, and bill it at the cost for it to have been purchased at
full-price.  I disregard any silly "discounts" that might occur in the
real world for bulk purchases.

I thus ensure that certain numbers get bolstered and as a side-benefit
I work a little more towards locking in various industries with using
my tools.

Oh, I also benefit when those who get the gift of my license pay me to
purchase my other software which only works on that gift license.

Plus there's the free publicity.

And maybe I get to ignore my guilt for a while longer too.

And impress my friends.