wish i had a clue stick to smack buffet upside the head!

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 26 02:02:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:54:38 -0400
Jamon Camisso got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> There is such a thing as redemption in my mind,
> and I honestly think it would be a great thing indeed (ironic even?) for
> the Gates' and Buffet to spend the money they've extracted from people
> and companies over the years on charitable projects that we would never
> have donated to in the first place for wont of maintaining our petty
> middle class comforts.
>
> That being said, I wouldn't have discovered computers without said
> middle-class status... so it goes. Regardless, we're here now, someone
> is trying to make a difference in the world. That someone *can* affect
> the quality of life of a large number of people to a considerable
> degree. Let's not forget that is really my entire point.

To my mind, I can see both sides. It is, as you say, possible (I hope for my
own sake!) to redeem oneself after past misdeeds.

What sticks in my craw is the point that Ted, if I understand correctly, was
trying to make.

You are correct that computing in general is mostly a concern of the wealthier
nations, and our 'petty middly class comforts'. Most people on the planet are
concerned with their next meal more than what's on Slashdot ;-)

However, I would wager that, sans M$'s monopoly, computing, free software, and
the benefits that result from connectivity, would *not* be limited to us in our
comfy Western Middle Class abodes.

Organization is one very important key to prosperity, and were it not for Gates
and others, I believe that computing technologies would have levelled the
playing field somewhat between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (here comes William
Park..."Commie!" LOL!)

In any case, history's been written, and Bill is trying, I guess to repay all
the money he stole, but I don't think he should be getting medals for it,
considering how he got it in the first place.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046