Becoming a sysadmin (was: LPIC exam)

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 22 13:31:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Jason Spiro wrote:

[Discussion on how to become a sysadmin]

IMHO the best way to learn an OS is to use it and to solve problems.
Anyone who loves solving problems will naturally do this and will

A good sysadmin should have a good working knowledge of:

- security
- system privileges (and how to use them)
- backups/restores

Don't just follow best practice, figure out why things are done in a
certain way and consider alternatives.

Just a few hints, there is quite a lot to being a sysadmin.

> Also, list: Are commercial postings frowned upon on this list? I do
> in-home / in-office Linux training throughout the GTA for a reasonable
> fee.

Non-authoritative answer but I would say definitely no.  A lot of people
here are involved in commercial Linux support and if such posts were
permissible we'd end up with far too many.  Posts on Linux/Unix jobs
available and posts on personal sales of equipment are generally ok on LUG
lists.

One option is to put a short advertisement in your .sig (ie, a couple of
lines).  This is acceptable all over the 'net.   See below for an example.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073