Lone Coder Blog - A Lone Coder in a Big Pond

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 21 16:55:25 UTC 2006

Alex Beamish wrote:
> OK -- maybe it's just me, but when I talk about expanding my knowledge
> base, writing some cool software and maintaining a good base of
> software, rather than talking about leading projects, becoming a VP
> and conquering the world, I get the feeling the HR types are mentally
> stamping 'LOSER' on my ample forehead. I just love doing the technical
> stuff -- if that's a weakness, so be it.
It all depends. If they're looking for someone who is "management
material", capable of evolving from team player to team leader, and you
don't want that, then it's a mutually bad fit.

I agree that the growth mentality behind the private sector makes it
difficult for HR types to understand people who aren't interested in
moving up the management food chain. They're used to seeing raw ambition
and may be unable to easily deal with people who are content to be soldiers.

> I'm up for it -- I just have to remember that when I start talking
> about a favourite project, I have to tailor the response to the
> audience, discussing the technical aspects with the technical people,
> and the management aspects with the management people.
IMO this is critical -- taking care not to speak above or below the
level of the people on the other side. Indeed, the ability to explain
complex tech in easy to understand language is what I think many
employers would consider valuable.

> That doesn't bother me so much, if I'm getting well paid to do an
> interesting job in a fun environment.
Ah, the trifecta. Job satisfaction, good pay and an encouraging employer.

- Evan