Laptop friendly Linux distros

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 21 14:58:17 UTC 2006

teddy mills wrote:

> I have no problem with running Linux on desktops because there are few
> thermal issues.
> I do have a problem with running Linux on laptops, because I do not know
> what to look for to get the proper thermal support.
> I mean it has to be more than APIC thermal/fan level control?
>
> Most Linux distros I have seen,  almost never turns on a laptop cpu fan
> at random times, no matter how hot the laptop is getting
> Can you recommend a distro that I can safely run on a laptop? Thank you
> in advance!

Ubuntu, SuSE, Fedora Core 5, Mandriva, and a few others would be your
best options (no particular order for those first 4). Thermal & power
settings are in the kernel, so you should be fine with almost any distro
sporting a modular or at least intelligently compiled kernel.

Have you tried a distro on your laptop yet? I've found that the converse
of what you've experienced is true: Linux managed to get my laptop fans
working exactly the way they were supposed to, on at 50*C, speed 2 @
60*C, 3 @ 65 etc. etc. Different laptops different temps, but you get
the idea. There are also some laptops with fans that can be controlled
through software applications on Linux too. Dell Inspirons come to mind,
not sure if they are currently, but the whole 8000 series was I think.

Jamon