Netgear card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 21 13:05:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:37:15AM -0400, moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience making a
> Netgear WG511 wireless card (PCMCIA) work
> with Linux?  Thus far, I haven't even managed
> to get Linux to acknowledge that the card exists.
>
> Oh, on a slightly related note -- my laptop has
> USB 1.1, and I'm thinking of getting a PCMCIA
> USB 2.0 cardbus.  Any experiences using them
> in Linux?

Do you have pcmcia support working on your system?

Which revision is the wifi card?  According to this site
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=Netgear
Most revisions can work with linux, but the marvell based one can not
(no surprise there).

Apparently there are 2 different v2 cards, one of which works well, one
of which is hard to make work, and then the marvell which is imposible.
This is worse than usual for a network equipment company.  Now they use
the same model and revision on different hardware.  I think this is a
good time to declare netgear off limits for purchases of new hardware.
:)

Len Sorensen