Netgear card

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 21 05:54:57 UTC 2006

moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience making a
> Netgear WG511 wireless card (PCMCIA) work
> with Linux?  Thus far, I haven't even managed
> to get Linux to acknowledge that the card exists.
>
> Oh, on a slightly related note -- my laptop has
> USB 1.1, and I'm thinking of getting a PCMCIA
> USB 2.0 cardbus.  Any experiences using them
> in Linux?

I have one that works, but it is a version 1 card. You can check to see
if yours is version 1 or 2 by finding the place of manufacture printed
on the card. If it says Taiwan it is a version 1 card that uses Prism/GT
drivers and is supported out of the box. If it says China it is version
2 and uses SoftMAC for firmware vs. version 1 which uses FullMAC (I
think that's what the problem is, not exactly sure what it means
though!). Version 2 might well use prism/gt, but because of the firmware
issue, the prism driver just doesn't work properly. Seems work is being
done (http://prism54.org), but that doesn't help you right now.

For more on the v1, v2, soft/full mac thing:
http://prism54.org/pipermail/prism54-devel/2004-September/001983.html

If, as I suspect, yours is a made in China or explicitly says v2, have
you tried using ndiswrapper and the windows drivers? That might do you
quite well.

Jamon