Cross-compiling for Linux on an ARM device

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 20 16:11:12 UTC 2006

(I bet nobody saw this coming...)

I picked up a new toy, a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000[1] and I've been
playing around with the different Linux distributions.  (I might even
break down and try Debian)

I'm interested in learning more about cross compiling [2] software
with this as the host architecture [3].

I realise that this is a _very_ hairy topic, but I wanted to beg some
sagely advice as to what tools exist and what I ought to learn.

It sounds like what I need to learn (for most software) begins with
cross-compiling with gcc.  Is this true?  Where else should I be
pointed?

I don't think I'm psychotic enough (right now) to develop my own
distribution, but certainly maintaining ARM/Zaurus ports is something
I can see myself doing.

Oh, and if anyone wants to goof around with it, I'm working on a
Zaurus user group to meet at the Linux Cafe and can do some demos.  So
far I can get Doom, Heretic and Quake running just fine.  I'm working
on various game emulators.  Oh, and I also hear there are some
productivity applications.  ;)

Bunches of notes:

[1] http://jrandomhacker.info/Sharp_Zaurus_SL-series
[1] http://jrandomhacker.info/Sharp_Zaurus_SL-C1000