Persistant smartd errors...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 20 15:07:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:53:40AM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I originally posted this to the hardware list, but got no response, so
> I'm trying it here, too.  Any input would be appreciated.
>
> A few weeks ago I started seeing prefailure messages in my logwatch
> emails - it appeared that my hard drive was failing.
>
> I dutifully bought a new drive, reinstalled on it, and pulled my data
> over.  I finally got around to setting up smartd again, and I see more
> prefailure messages of the same ilk - on the new drive.  The old drive
> is still plugged in, and it is not mounted, but monitored, and has begun
> showing Seek_Time_Performance errors (again) as well.  Here is an excerpt
> of my logs as summarized by logwatch:

I am trying to figure out where in the above smartd there is anything
that looks like a problem.  I don't see any, unless the
Seek_Time_Performance is the problem.

Is the data cable OK?
What happens if you swap hda and hdb?
Could it be a problem with the controller that only affects the first port?
Are you running an 80wire cable?
Are you using cable select or master/slave?
What model are these drives?
What chipset is the ide controller part of?
Which kernel version is it?

Len Sorensen