Lone Coder Blog - A Lone Coder in a Big Pond

Ken Burtch kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 17 18:46:26 UTC 2006

This month I talk about dealing with depression if you are a programmer.

"In 2005, I went for a job interview at a company in Niagara area which
manufacturers equipment for dentists. The receptionist said I was the
most polite and pleasant candidate they had interviewed. I walked into
the meeting room to talk with the HR person. With too much make-up,
over-styled hair and flirty-but-fashionable clothes, she looked like
someone who wanted to be a regular on "Sex in the City". "Our company,"
she said, "has offices in major American cities." You could almost hear
her add, "And I won't be stuck in this backwater dump for long." She
looked me over--overweight, glasses and balding--and immediately turned
cold. I wasn't one of those handsome TV guys. I was a computer geek
applying for a computer geek job. Interviewing me didn't fit with her
plans for becoming Somebody..."

Read the rest here:

http://www.pegasoft.ca/coder/coder_june_2006.html

Ken O. Burtch                                     Phone: 905-562-0848
Author "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"            Fax: 905-562-0848
http://www.pegasoft.ca                            Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org