printf in bash

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 16 02:07:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 02:29:33PM -0400, Ken Burtch wrote:
> Hmph.  I wrote the book on the shell I didn't even get a word in!  Well,
> problem solved and good work everyone.

Well, here documents date back to early shells (they were
certainly in the Bourne shell, I think they were in the original
shell too).  Perl took them, with essentially the same syntax
(before bash was started, if my brief research is right that bash
dates back to 1991).

So, lots of people were able to answer this particular question
long before your book was written.  Perhaps a question that is
really bash specific will come along and make your day.