The "new" news service at Sympatico

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 13 23:29:26 UTC 2006

On 13 Jun 2006 at 7:43, Scott Allen spaketh these wourdes:

> On Tue Jun 13,2006 06:13:55 AM Paul King wrote:
> > I was just wondering if anyone who is on Sympatico heard about
> > them using a new news-hosting service.
>
> I'll probably try it soon since I used to use the old server.
>
> > Does it suck as much as the original Sympatico service did?
>
> What sucked about it? I never had a problem. However, I just pull all
> the latest articles, daily, from the groups I read, to a local spool.
> I then read offline when I have the time.

What sucked? Puh-lenty. For one thing, Sympatico was notoriously bad
at retaining both single and multipart postings. And, I don't mean just
binary. I mean posts of literally everything - text, and binary. The
numbers of posts that arrive at Sympatico themselves were incomplete
compared even with free servers, and an abnormally high ratio of spam
(this was also true for the Big 7), compared with free servers. In
other words, there was utterly and absoutely no attempt to manage
usenet in any way, shape or form.

I say this with some passion, since I maintain a 4-part FAQ for sci.bio.food-
science. On Sympatico, only one part shows up.

Paul King