Just wondering about console fonts

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 10 17:25:25 UTC 2006

Hello

The console fonts under my old 1994 slack distro were a lot nicer than
anything under Sarge, and I especially prefer the roman font in the file
rl.fnt, which I am now using under Sarge.

Because the older fonts were nicer (IMO) and had more variety, I was
wondering why these fonts were abandoned. It does not appear that anyone
else has used them since, and I have recently gone thru Fedora and
Debian. Were they simply forgotten?

>From a 1994 distro I have (TransAmeritech/Slackware), I pulled out a
*.fnt font from a package in that distro. I read it into my font table
(under Debian Sarge) using
   consolechars -f /<path_to_my_consolefonts>/rl.fnt
... and it worked. It also worked on reboot by sticking the command in
one of my /etc/init.d files (I think I had to replace a command in the
file console-screen.sh to do it).

Paul King