External cases for internal IDE drives; LiveCDs

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 10 01:55:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org wrote:

> How do you figure out which block device it is, when you want to mount
> it?

I've found the easiest way is to apply a label to the filesystem and mount
it via the label in /etc/fstab.  The usb/firewire devices will be
dynamically allocated block device names like sda, sdb, etc.  Using labels
avoids a lot of messing around.

Here is an example entry from an /etc/fstab on one of our boxes:

LABEL=archive   /mnt/archive    xfs     defaults      0 0

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073

If you are emailing regarding an open ticket please consider
mentioning the ticket ID as this will assist us in responding
as quickly as possible.