External cases for internal IDE drives; LiveCDs

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 7 13:26:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 04:53:35PM -0400, moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with external cases
> (USB or parallel port) for internal IDE drives?  I
> need one to work with quite an old drive (4GB).  It
> came with a Dell machine; I know Dell sometimes has
> some incompatibilities.  Will that make a difference?

Well any USB external drive case for IDE should work.  A 4GB drive may
be old, but it is newer than than 540MB, and 2GB issues, so it should be
perfectly compliant with IDE standards.  Even Dell did not use non
standard hard disks.  Motherboards, power supplies, video cards, sound
cards, network cards, etc they mess with.  But the drives they seem to
have left alone.

> I'd appreciate pointers to any brands that have worked
> for you.
>
> On another note, can anyone recommend a bootable Linux CD
> (Live CD or some such) that will work on quite an old
> machine (128 MB RAM) and has NTFS support?

No idea about NTFS.  Ram shouldn't be a problem for most linux
distributions.

Len Sorensen