Is it possible to run the Intel ICH7R SATA RAID on Linux?

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 5 18:18:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 13:49 -0400, Stephen W. Clarke wrote:
> I'm trying to install Whitebox EL4 on a brand new server we just got.
>
> It came with the Intel ICH7R SATA RAID. (I'm pretty sure its a software
> RAID and is designed to work only with Windows.) My question is, does
> anyone out there know how I can go about making it work with Linux. My
> Linux install disk does recognize the HDD even with the RAID turned off.
>
> All tips and/or links will be appreciated.

Unless the RAID driver is in the kernel I don't bother using hardware
RAID (or driver RAID, as is the case with  most SATA RAID.) The problem
is maintenance. Most of the servers I take care of are not local and I
want them to come back up when I upgrade the kernel. The drivers for
SATA RAID are often proprietary or have to be compiled for each kernel
and placed into the initrd.

Since the cheap SATA raid is really software RAID (in the driver) I go
with the Linux software raid, which is more featureful. Every SATA RAID
card that I've seen can turn off the RAID feature.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.

Chief Technology Officer