Host how to

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 5 14:05:35 UTC 2006

Hi again
 Thanks for the response. I am sorry I took a while to reply, but I am far
behind my mail. Anyway, it look like you are getting the expected response,
while it is failing on my box. Here is what i get when I try your example
word to word

# host tlug.ss.org
]# host waltdnes.org
# host 192.234.254.38

Can't really explain it. I am using the same host to respond to this email
which mean I can't be having nwtwork problems. Could there be a specific
port I need to have iptable allow? Nothing else make sense as to why it
should work for you while its failing for me.
 As for what I was trying to so, I was helping a friend set up evolution. He
currently use a webmail and I wanted to poke his mail provider IP with nmap
and see if pop port is open. Unfortunately, I only had  domain name with me,
and nmap doesn't work very well with domain name for me. I hence tried using
"host" to extract the Ip and that is how I landed in above issue.
 Thank you for your help. At least I know I am in the write path, just
getting killed by some funky issues that I can't fathom

William