OTA and Linux

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 5 01:50:51 UTC 2006

Giles Orr wrote:

> And of those current ATI and nVidia chips, how many are FULLY
> supported?  They work - but not all features, and in most cases not as
> fast as under Windows.  This is probably also true of the Intel
> chipsets, but I'm more aware of the others.

Examples?

> But to argue vehemently for  something when there is significant proof
> to the contrary is probably
> more damaging than it is productive.

I'm not arguing _for_ anything. I'm arguing _against_ the assertion that
"getting a mainstream notebook running 100% under Linux is a real crap
shoot". Things are far from perfect, but also nowhere nearly as bad as
is being asserted.

As always, it is a matter of buyer beware. Anyone who doesn't do their
shopping, to see what works and what doesn't, is going to get burned --
and this doesn't just apply to laptops (indeed, it doesn't just apply to
Linux, either ;-) . A combination of a laptop using conventional
components, together with a distro that supplies drivers for them and is
tuned to the needs of laptop users, is going to increase their odds
significantly. Finding a combination isn't difficult.

Anyone who complains that "Linux doesn't support my laptop" when they
really mean "my distro doesn't support it" ought to know better. I still
don't consider Ubuntu a laptop-friendly distro no matter what its makers
claim. I wasn't able to install hedgehog well on my T42, and I gave up
after a few tries. Mandriva, Xandros and IIRC even OpenSUSE are much
better candidates based on what I've heard.

Even so, when Debian and Ubuntu honcho Jeff Waugh had his laptop stolen
in Montréal a fem months ago, he had no problem buying an off-the-shelf
"mainstream" replacement in Toronto the next day, and having it working
to his satisfaction at the TLUG meeting at which he presented shortly
after.

- Evan