Problems with Samba shared printers on two WinXP boxes - Mandriva LE2006

Clive DaSilva cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 4 22:02:01 UTC 2006

John Van Ostrand wrote:

>On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 10:05 -0400, Clive DaSilva wrote:
>

>>I have a small network with a Mandriva LE2006 box sharing files and
>>printers with two WinXP boxes using Samba. The XP boxes can see and use
>>the files and the Lexmark z22 usb printer attached to the Linux box. The
>>Linux box can see and use the files on the two XP boxes and can see the
>>two printers attached to these boxes, but not use them. One is a HP
>>psc1300 printer and the other is a Lexmark z25. Everytime I try to print
>>a test page to one of these printers, I hear the printer print a
>>carriage return and that is it. I set the XP boxes to be able to accept
>>print requests from Unix boxes. I have been trying to sort this out for
>>a long time, doing a lot of research, posted the question on
>>Linuxquestions.org.
>>
>>Any ideas would be appreciated
>>

>If the printer is reacting to the print job (you mentioned hearing a CR)
>then the problem is the format of the print job arriving at the printer.
>I'm not familiar with the printer, but the specs online say it supports
>Linux and there are linux drivers for old Linux distros.
>
>It is possible that Windows is sending a printer reset and that is the
>movement that you hear.
>
>I think this is key to your problem. When printing through a Windows PC
>the print driver on Windows is not used, it assumes the print job is
>already in a format suitable for the printer. This means that a suitable
>print driver needs to be installed on the Linux system. The printer in
>question sounds like an inexpensive version. These printers, especially
>of that vintage, didn't support standard printer languages. They often
>didn't support plain text, but required a print driver to produce a
>bitmap suitable for the printer.
>
>Try the print drivers provided by Lexmark. A lot of changes to print
>spoolers has happened since then so there's a good chance that the
>drivers will not work out of the box.
>
>Another option is to try a similar print driver from the Linux distro.
>My Fedora has a Z23 support.
>
>I hope that helps.
>
>--
>The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
>TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Thanks John

Trying that now, using the Z35 drivers but not much difference. I get
the feeling that its more of a network problem than a driver problem,
because when I pull up the CUPS admin in a browser, it shows the
printers attached to the XP box but there is a comment under the printer
line saying "tree connect failed" .... will have to keep researching this

--
Clive DaSilva CMA
Tel : 416-421-2480