Anyone get "Elephant's Dream" to work?

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 3 19:30:56 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 07:18 -0500, Sy Ali wrote:
> On 6/3/06, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On 6/2/06, Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > I got nowhere under Debian Sarge. XMMS, XINE, and Totem couldn't play it at all;
> > > and under Windows, the only player that recognised it was DIVX, but alas, DIVX
> > > could not render the sound. The kind of data was called "Tag 8192", whatever that
> > > is.
> >
> > I'm having similar issues.  Why did they choose something so obscure?
> > I'll just get the DVD.
>
> I got the DVD.  It's a nice nod to The Matrix, but it could have been
> written a lot better..

I say in another email that one has to be careful not to filter it
through what you've experienced under Pixar, Weta, Dreamworks, and the
like. THey all have professional writers and large budgets. This
animation was written by a rag-tag team of computer geeks, artists, and
other like minds with next to no budget. I think the accomplishment was
in the very fact that such a high-quality animation could be done using
entirely open-source software such as The GIMP and Blender.

> The unexplained time-elapse in the middle was a very bad idea.  The
> voice for the younger character doesn't seem right to me maybe until
> his accent came out way later.  The old guy tosses his walking stick
> in one scene and mysteriously picks it back up in another.  =/

I said above the animation was 20 minutes; it is actually about 11
minutes (9.5 minutes not counting credits). The commentary on the
animation (not the alternative tracks on the DVD, but additional
interviews and commentary on the DVD) runs for almost 30 minutes. I
guess it takes longer to explain than to watch.