OTA and Linux

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 3 14:45:35 UTC 2006

James Knott wrote:

>My ThinkPad runs well, with all devices, including modem and WiFi
>supported.  Also, with the push for Linux in China, Taiwan and
>elsewhere, I expect a lot more computers will be supporting it.

There are already a great many products supporting Linux; they're just
not sold here.
How many of the motorola Linux-based smartphones are available in North
America?
The Zaurus, which was a flop for Sharp in America, is still sold in Asia.

><http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/06/03/2003311446>

This is very good news because it means that the low-cost PC, laptop and
motherboard vendors (such as Asus and Gigabyte) *must* provide
Linux-compatible products. There is a benefit to this beyond short-term
product availabilty, in that any "trusted hardware" designed to keep
Linux off of new hardware cannot be sold to these increasingly
significant markets. This means that there will be a good supply of
current hardware components that will be able to run Linux regardless of
the kind of motherboard-enforced DRM that Microsoft and others would
like to implement.

- Evan