OTA and Linux

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 3 11:22:53 UTC 2006

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
>
> | The March product flyer from OTA on College Street shows a 'feature item'
> | which is an Acer laptop AS3623NWXMI loaded with...Linux. No mention of
> | Windows.
>
> Interesting.  I have wondered if this is a way to sell a laptop
> without the MS Windows tax, fully expecting that the buyer would load
> up MS Windows after purchasing.  Perhaps Legitimately: many businesses
> have a site license anyway (I think).

Or perhaps they realize there's a market for computers loaded with
Linux.  There's a store on Dufferin, near Yorkdale that sells only Linux
systems.  Also, there's www.angelcomputer.com, who sell notebooks loaded
with Linux, Windows or no OS.  The Linux and no OS models are cheaper
than those with Windows.

> OTA's page for notebooks does not mention this model
>   http://www.otapc.com/systems.php
> but using google I found that the main page does have it (duh), in two
> variants http://www.otapc.com/
>
>     AS3623NWXMI Celeron-M370
>     256MB,40GB,DVDRW14"
>     LINUX$660
>
>     AS3623WXMI CELEREON-M
>     1.5GHz,512MB,40GB,DVDRWM
>     14.1"WXGA,XP$790
>
> acer.ca does not describe this model.  The name seems to imply "No
> Windows" rather than "with Linux".
>
> I wonder what distro?  This link mentions "Linpus Linux LE" (in
> Thailand): http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22967
>
> This seems like a fairly weak notebook.  But getting a mainstream
> notebook running 100% under Linux is a real crap shoot.  This one
> ought to be better supported.

My ThinkPad runs well, with all devices, including modem and WiFi
supported.  Also, with the push for Linux in China, Taiwan and
elsewhere, I expect a lot more computers will be supporting it.

<http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/06/03/2003311446>