aterm/rxvt man page issues

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 1 04:10:41 UTC 2006

I use aterm rather than xterm (or konsole or rxvt or ...) because it
supports pseudo-transparency and is light-weight.  I have one minor
but nagging problem with it.

When I use "man" (actually a special mode of "less" on most Linux
systems), it does weird things when displaying "`", "'", and "-"
(back-tick, single quote, and hyphen).  I get the letter "a" with a
caret over it replacing any of them, and some extra spaces.  This can
be a real pain, as it makes the man pages hard to read and throws off
searches: the search target is still found, but isn't necessarily
displayed in the part of the man page you're seeing - so you have to
search for your search.

I've tried several things, such as the LESSCHARSET environment
variable (interesting effects, no solution) and "man -7 <progname>"
(no effect?).  Since less itself has no issue with `, ', or -, I have
to assume that the problem is introduced by the ?roff processing that
takes place before the page is displayed.  But I haven't the slightest
idea how to fix this.

Has anybody encountered this?  Any solutions?  Even if you don't have
an answer, verification of the problem on other distros/OSes would be
appreciated.  I'm running Ubuntu Breezy, but I seem to recall having a
very similar problem under a Debian and possibly even RedHat, and I
just verified equally bad behaviour under FC5.  rxvt (from which aterm
was forked/spawned) has very similar issues.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org