Linux-friendly PCI dialup modem?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 31 16:16:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 06:57:02PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   The setup of my new PVR computer has come to a screeching halt, while
> I await delivery of a replacement for my dead ADSL modem.  I did manage
> to do 80 megs of downloads for an update on my main machine.  It was
> over 4 hours at 5.5 kbytes/sec net.  I considered doing something
> similar on the PVR machine... until I discovered that it didn't have
> serial ports... oops.  I had been so focussed on a motherboard with a
> video chipset that had hardware accleration support in linux, I had
> forgotten about serial ports on my new PVR machine.
>
>   Since I intend to have the machine occasionally update, and it's a
> long run from my den (computer room), I want to use dial-up once the PVR
> machine is up and running.  My options are...
>   a) linux-compatable PCI v90 or v92 modem (preferred)
>   b) a serial-port card plus external modem
>
>   The b) option will probably get a bit more speed, but more expense and
> more cables in my living room, no thanks.

An internal modem has a 16550A compatible UART that does 115200.
A serial port card has a 16550A compatible UART that does 115200.

I fail to see what could possibly make any speed difference between the
internal and external modem.  Unless the internal modem is very badly
designed and gets lots of interference from noise in the computer case
itself, then there should be no difference.

>   So, where can I find linux-compatable PCI modems in the GTA?

tigerdirect.ca says they have the usr5610b for $89.  A number of other
places have it at the same price too.

--
Len Sorensen