Linux-friendly multi-port ADSL modem-cum-router recommendations?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 29 23:49:27 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 06:34:47PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
>> Use the "modem" that your new DSL provider provides, and a
>> LinksysWRT54x (S, G, or GL)
>
> But not a v5.  They run vxworks and are apparently horrible routers.
> The GL exists because some people really have the v5, so they continued
> making v4's as the GL.
>
> I personally think a $200 PC with linux would be a much better choice.

You don't have to spend even that much.  I recently bought a small case
Compaq with an 866 MHz PIII and 128 MB, for $100 from Computer Warehouse
Outlet, that does an excellent job of running my SUSE 10 firewall.  I
even have 3 NICs, so that I can have my WiFi outside of the firewall.  I
then use ssh or OpenVPN to access my local network from WiFi or other
location.