Linux-friendly multi-port ADSL modem-cum-router recommendations?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 28 10:20:17 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 06:34:47PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
>> Use the "modem" that your new DSL provider provides, and a
>> LinksysWRT54x (S, G, or GL)
>
> But not a v5.  They run vxworks and are apparently horrible routers.
> The GL exists because some people really have the v5, so they continued
> making v4's as the GL.
>
> I personally think a $200 PC with linux would be a much better choice.

I've got a GL running the DD-WRT firmware and I am quite impressed with
the performance and stability of the unit. I also tried open-wrt on the
unit with the same results. You can get a G for < $50, and a GL for <
$60 right now, Linksys has rebates out.

While a sub $200 pc would work well, power considerations
notwithstanding (that discussion crops up periodically so I'm aware if
the minimal costs involved), why not purchase a GL and demonstrate to
Linksys that their decision to open source the firmware was a good one?

I was in at Canadacomputers the other day and saw that every GL unit on
their shelf had been put aside for various people, whereas none of their
GS units or even regular G units were marked. Go figure. They had been
out of stock for a week, ordered 75 units, and the very day they came in
they were already being put aside for customers. Now, not even a week
later, they are down to 39 units. Their other stock in G and GS is still
about where it was when their shipment arrived. Not bad... Indeed, IMO,
quite good :)

Jamon