Women in IT (Aug 3). Online freedom of speech (Aug 5th)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 28 02:56:50 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:
> I have heard a theory regarding why Canadians, Jewish
> Americans, and African Americans do well in US comedy.
> The theory is that each of these groups have some
> mental distance from the "mainstream" culture, and so
> have an easier time spotting the absurdities inside
> mainstream culture (the very close to, but not 110%
> part of the mainstream idea). Not sure if I buy the
> theory, but I do find it interesting. Is there
> something similar for women in technology?

I don't think I or anyone one person could say...

What I can say is that I have always agreed with a line from my
favourite movie, Ghost in the Shell; "Over-specialize and you breed in
weakness". The IT industry suffers from this, I think. Not enough
minorities (as one posted pointed out) are heard in IT. Be it women,
blacks, disabled, natives, whatever. It is heavily dominated by one
culture, European males.

In my mind IT et. al. are weaker for this. "Mainstream" is simply the
majority view, so if someone thinks it's helpful to get a non-mainstream
view they need to not only tolerate the token outsider, they need to
actively support and prop-up those outsiders so that others can see that
yeah, you are in fact welcome and will in fact be taken serious. *Then*
the IT world will start to diversify and benefit from new,
non-mainstream ideas.

It's the same in business, politics and many other male-dominated
industries, too. As it is now, the only women who succeed are those who
most effectively mimic the behavior and attitudes on the mainstream
class (your hard-ass female teacher, for example). Have you ever met a
woman who succeeded in business? They are usually very much bitches, and
they need to be to be taken seriously. The end result is that you have
token women/minorities who don't contribute much in the way of new ideas
because they couldn't succeed doing that. They had to assimilate.

Anyway, all this is my $0.02, take and/or discard as you see fit.

Madison