New flagship Motorola cellphone to run Linux

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 28 01:56:51 UTC 2006

After ages of limiting its Linux cellphone sales to Asia, Motorola has
announced that its highlight North American product will run a
Linux/Java platform.

The new phone, a successor to the current RAZR, is to be called the SCPL.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, and SCPL is the name of the Linux/Java
platform and the first phone based on that platform is the "motophone".

Whatever, it's still a big deal.

"When you start looking past the middle of next year, the bulk of
everything we do as far as a smartphone as well as a feature phone will
be on Linux/Java".

- Evan