Women in IT (Aug 3). Online freedom of speech (Aug 5th)

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 27 21:53:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Colin McGregor wrote:

> --- John Van Ostrand <john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> It even happens to us guys too, perhaps less often.
>> Tech support from
>> many companies starts out this way. Correcting them
>> is a delicate task
>> where one tries not to come off the wrong way. I've
>> also been talked
>> down to and outright lied to by salesmen who don't
>> have a clue about
>> what I know. I'm sure I'm lied to in the many areas
>> that I don't have a
>> clue about.
>
> Bad old joke:
>
> Q: What is the difference between a used car salesman
> and a computer salesman?
>
> A: The used car salesman knows when he is lying to
> you.

Maybe this is a new joke for you:

A man fishes in the sea. He catches a golden fish. The man is about to
pouch it when the fish says 'I'm a genie. A small one. You know the
drill. You can make a wish and I'll grant it'. The man smiles, thinks a
little and says: 'Can you make me a bridge to the next continent ? I
would like to have a bridge. And name it after me.'. The fish looks
worried, jumps into the water, time goes by, the man yanks it out again:
'So, genie, where is my bridge ?'. 'Err, look, bridges are really big
and hard to make. Maybe you want to make another wish ?'. 'Ok', says the
man, 'how about you make me understand my girlfriend. She gets upset,
she asks me to apologize to her, and she cries, and I don't understand
why.'. The fish looks more worried than before, jumps into the water,
time goes by, the man loses patience, yanks the fish out, grabs it hard,
and asks: 'look, I'm losing my patience. Grant my wish or I'll bucket
you'. The fish looks really scared and says: 'boss, about that
intercontinental bridge, how many traffic lanes should it have ?'.

Peter