partition headaches

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 27 21:51:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 04:53:54PM -0400, jim ruxton wrote:
> Thank you everyone for the helping out with this. Lennart had originally
> asked what I was doing with Partition Magic when things went astray. I
> was shrinking my Windows partition so I could create another partition
> that was FAT32 for sharing between Windows and Linux. I never got to the
> stage of making the FAT32 partition. It was during resizing that PM
> crashed after which I could no longer boot windows. With respect to the
> partition order. It has been this way for a long time and booted
> successfully via GRUB into either Windows or Linux. So I don't think I
> need to change this but I do have to do something to get Windows back.
> Mel, I used GNUparted a few days ago to convert an NTFS portable drive
> to FAT32 and it worked well. So what should I try if the partition order
> doesn't seem to be the culprit? Thanks again for the help.

Can partition magic resume the operation it was on?  I don't actually
know what happens if partition magic crashes (I have never seen it
happen).

Can you recover the filesystem by running chkdsk from the windows
recovery console (from booting the install cd and hitting F6 or
something)?  I have recovered corrupt NTFS systems that wouldn't boot
with that method in the past.

--
Len Sorensen