Women in IT (Aug 3). Online freedom of speech (Aug 5th)

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 27 19:33:10 UTC 2006

Madison Kelly wrote:

> Another problem, that has very nearly driven me out of IT (and may do
> yet), is the ingrained, nearly subconscious idea that women "just
> don't get IT". An example that really surprised/saddened me:
>
> TechData, who many of you know is a big tech supplier, has occasional
> vendor get-togethers where vendors can show off new products to
> potential VARs. I went to one recently looking for some VoIP and
> wireless tech (specifically looking for info wrt Linux support).
>
> At one company I was happy to see a woman rep so I started asking her
> what I thought were technical questions. Without hesitation she handed
> me a print out and said "Here, take this to your IT guy, it will tell
> him everything.".
>
> Even women in this industry don't take other women seriously.

She may genuinely have known nothing more about the product than the
presentation, and may have been directed to answer _every_ deeper
request with the data sheet. The "take this to your IT guy" part was
certainly insulting and sexist, tho', mind you that might have had to do
with projection of her own insecurity about the subject than anything to
do with you.

Besides, such sexism is certainly not restricted to IT. How different is
it from when a woman walks into a car dealer or Home Depot, knowing more
about the subject matter than most men yet still being treated as a
dummy? That situation is hardly rare either; getting out of IT will not
eliminate your exposure to such crap attitudes.

- Evan