partition headaches

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 27 14:01:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 09:35 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> >
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hda1   *        3951        7296    26876713+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> > /dev/hda2               1          13      104391   83  Linux
> > /dev/hda3              14        3950    31623952+  8e  Linux LVM
> >
> > Partition table entries are not in disk order
> After all if windows originally was the first partition, then it's boot
> loader will have something like disk(0)part(0) or something similar in
> the boot.ini, while if you moved it and put other partitions in front,
> not NTFS is technically the 3rd partition on the disk, and should have
> boot.ini changed to disk(0)part(2).  Best advice is to NEVER move the
> first windows partition, it should always be the first partition on the
> boot drive if you want windows to work reliably.  You can work around
> it, but it is generally more fragile.

You should be able to re-write the partitions in correct order using
fdisk. It would involve the scary task of deleting the partitions and
re-adding them with the same start, end, and type values. I've done this
in presentations to demystify partition tables.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.

Chief Technology Officer