linuxs 15th birthday

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 26 22:59:21 UTC 2006

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:
> According to the following website,
>
> http://www.linux-aktivaattori.fi/projects/15_year_linux_birthday/
>
> The actual date is September 15th. This sounds right since I remember hearing about it in University first term 1991.
>
> Bill

I guess that's the thing, do we work with the announcement or the first
source release? Linus posted his message the 25th of August, a date that
would likely be of greater interest for those who have time off in the
summer, and lesser interest for exactly that reason. The 15th would mean
two events within 3 days as the 12th is the second Tuesday in Sept. --
this again could go both ways, being convenient or dilutive depending on
who you ask. Granted without any code Linux could hardly have been said
to exist in the wild before the 15th of September, but OTO, by sheer
numbers:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=september+15+1991+linux
1,170,000

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=august+25+1991+linux
1,120,000

That's a difference of about 4% making the first somewhat more
meaningful, but not necessarily statistically significant. Also, when
you read the results for each respective search the second query is far
more consistent in the quality and overlap of the first few pages of
results.

With this in mind then, how about having two events? Colin mentioned a
mass-install, Evan mentioned a key-signing, I mentioned free screening
of Revolution OS and other assorted FLOSS documentaries. It would be
great to have all events in one weekend or afternoon. I beg to differ on
the being dilutive point as we have a month less a day to prepare for
the 25th and could easily get things organized before then.

David? As your space will likely be imposed upon to no small degree,
what are your thoughts?