Chromatic on Video Drivers - Opinion

Vlad shiwan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 26 16:55:04 UTC 2006

        On the article... great, another person that hasn't heard of
patents and intellectual property. Most of OpenGL (and GLX) is covered
under patents, intellectual property laws, and possibly trade secrets.
As an aside, I'll note that a lot of said patents and IP has been
transferred by SGI to Microsoft over the years.
        You can not get a full open source implementation of OpenGL
and GLX that is hardware accelerated (emphasis on that) and that uses
extensions, without violating someone's IP. For example, see the
issues with the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc call. Just about every
game out there made in the last few years needs S3TC to work, and
you'll only get that from a closed source, binary driver like
nVidia's. (Or ATI's, these days.)

        It is not the video card manufacturer's choice whether to open
source a driver or not; they are not permitted by their licensing
terms, in order to get that DirectX and OpenGL certification. (And no,
not getting the cert, but implementing said calls and releasing an
open source driver is NOT the solution here; they'll be hung out to
try, after having unspeakable things done to them by teams of
lawyers.)

        As for part b), nVidia is the only real choice. I've been
using nVidia cards for many years now, and their drivers are quite
excellent. (Go full hardware acceleration on FreeBSD and Solaris 10!)
Sure, ATI have cleaned up their act lately, but it's just not enough
by now. Plus they've soured a fair amount of people with their initial
driver releases, some of which were spectacular failures, depending on
what hardware/Kernel you ran.

        -- Vlad

--
end