GPG Key Signing

Interlug interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 24 01:47:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-23-07 at 08:26 -0700, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I have added a page to the Wiki on this
> <http://gtalug.org/wiki/GPG_Key_Signing>...
>
> Do we have someone who could speak with some authority on PGP, GPG,
> the Web of Trust, and such, as a part of a meeting where we'd seek to
> do a fairly massive key signing?

My notes for a key signing at KWLUG are here.
http://www.dyoh.com/?q=node/view/10 The key to organizing a large key
signing is the USERS.  There is nothing that you can do, if folks won't
prepare their keys, and bring them to the signing.

>From the user perspective, preparing a key is simple-simple.  I've
shown
the steps, with examples on the link above.  Many others have done the
same on their sites, too.  Then prepare your keys and carry a few with
you all the time.  This way you won't forget for the big Web of Trust
Day.

Making your GnuPG key cards is a piece of cake too.  Go the fancy way,
if you like, and have business cards made, with your key fingerprint
information on the back.  Or do it yourself by printing your own cards,
ten-up, at home.  Or save even more paper by printing 30-some strips on
a page, like so:

J. Random User    User-WKM+fuMS0MswxACUbC37FdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Key fingerprint = A526 F9E3 D8C2 43D0 F4E9  9FF4 56D9 188B D6D1 B120

If interested users do all of this in advance, then the key exchange day
is simple.  1)Meet, 2)Handshake, 3)Exchange key cards, 4)Consider if
PhotoID is valid, 5)Compare photoID Photo to face, 6)Compare photoID
name to key card name, 7)Initial their key info to remind yourself that
you saw their ID, 8)Check that you've got your ID back, 9)Another hand
shake and you are off to the next one.  Three minutes, tops, if you stop
to chat.

Cheers,
Richard