HOWTO Install Kanotix on a USB External Drive

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 23 00:06:22 UTC 2006

Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> It *does* sound like fun!
>
> So you boot all the other Linux installs with Ubuntu's grub, and share
> a single /home amongst them all?

It could of course be any other distro's grub (SuSE 10.1 likes to
totally b0rk all other bootloaders I've found), or lilo too I suppose. I
don't much work with the unit, more of a fun project than anything else.
The shared /home and swap are a must :)

What I'd do next time is find out beforehand how much space each distro
uses on a default install and customize my partitions accordingly. I'm
sure given enough research I could fit 15 or more full installs on the unit.

Next up... squashfs, unionfs, or whatever it is that lets you compress a
bootable image -- with backtrack there are two options a 700mb install,
or a 2.7GB install, both from the same 700mb cd, so I know this option
will work with others.

Perhaps an ongoing project like that 10 distros on 1 DVD project:
http://www.securedvd.org/about.html ?

Jamon