Linux in the Park thoughts...

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 22 23:38:42 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:
> Last Friday I spoke to David Patrick (owner of
> Linuxcaffe) about the idea of doing a Linux in the
> Park event in August.
>
> The idea would be to get a little sun, play with some
> Linux boxes and otherwise have a bit of fun down in a
> park across the street from Linuxcaffe (near Bloor and
> Christie). Now, David notes he can arrange for the
> following:
>
> - Wireless Internet (via a router inside Linuxcaffe).
> - Some power in the park (10 Amps/115 volts, enough to
>   power several laptops).
> - Some cheap (used) PCs for sale.
>
> What else should be looked at for an event like this?

r.e. dates: what do people think of the 25th of August? That date is of
particular significance to those who might be familiar with the
following (header only):

>From: torvalds-lnM/buXam7Mjxog6bMmI4LSLf10MHP48 at public.gmane.org (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
>Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
>Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
>Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT

That makes August 25, a Friday even, the 15th birthday of Linux. Now I
know we'd all love to celebrate GNU's birthday too but... well, I'll
leave that one up in the air...

David is quite enthusiastic for a Friday 25th birthday celebration. It
would also make for a great start to a Linux in the Park weekend
gathering and perhaps marathon installfest. That of course puts things
off for a considerable while. Perhaps two events?

More thoughts?

Jamon