Size of Extended partition changed

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 22 01:01:14 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 13:28, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 12:38:04PM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
> > The computer in question is another one, but here is your list  modified
> >
> > Total cylinders 10000
> >
> >  hda1   primary  cylinder 1 - 100
> >  hda2   primary cylinder 101 - 1000
> >  hda3   primary  cylinder 1001 - 2000
> >  hda4   extended  cylinder 2001 - 5000   [was  10000]
> >
> >  hda5   logical  cylinder 2001 - 2500
> >  hda6   logical  cylinder 2501 - 5000
> >
> >  free space    cylinder 5001 - 10000
> >
> > Can you visualize it now?
>
> Try cfdisk.  I have seen a number of partition editing tools be too
> stupid to realize they can add to the existing extended partition.
>
> --

Thanks for the time so far Lennart.

When I run cfdisk it doesn't display the extended partition so there may not
be a way of editing the end sector of the Extended Partition.  Maybe you are
more familiar and know a secret or two.

With what you said I just tried parted for the first time, it shows the
extended and perhaps the resize command will do the job.  Any experience with
it?  I have none and the doc's are in 'info' format so I have only read the
man page so far.  I'm another who dislikes info a whole lot.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can

Kanotix Linux  Ver 2005-4